Kerry J. Gilliard
email@example.com • Kerry.Gilliard@pgcps.org
Secondary instrumental music instructor specializing in wind, percussion and string instruments, music arranging and composition. Conveys that passion to students with great enthusiasm resulting in lasting personal growth and success for the student. Strives for excellence in performance and expects the same of students. Develops student leaders. Dedicated toward the goal of producing top-level performing ensembles and building leaders out of all students. Adaptable, flexible and always working toward a solution.
EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS
Music PreK-12, Maryland Advanced Professional Certificate
Valid 6/30/17 to 6/30/2022
Messiah College May 2019
Master of Music in Conducting
Concentration: Wind Band Conducting
Grand Canyon University June 2013
Master of Arts in Teaching
Concentration: Teacher Leadership
Bowie State University August 2001
Bachelor of Science, Music Education
Concentration: Instrumental Music
Primary Instrument: Saxophone
TEACHING EXPERIENCE AND EMPLOYMENT
Prince Georges’ County Public Schools August 2001-Present
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
DuVal High School, Lanham, Maryland (August 2015 – Present)
- Music Department Chairman (2015-Present). Oversaw all activities of the music department (band, orchestra, chorus), including performances, fundraising, recruitment and retention, promotion, field trips and event planning.
- Director of Instrumental Music. Taught students in band and string orchestra at various ability levels (beginner, less than 2 years, 2-4 years, 4+ years).
- Developed Symphonic Band (playing grade III-V music), Concert Band (playing grade II-III music), Developmental Concert Band (playing grade I-II music), Jazz Ensemble (mixed instrumentation), Marching Band (32+ instruments plus 10-15 auxiliary color guard and dancers), Symphonic String Orchestra (playing grade III-IV) and Concert String Orchestra (playing grade II-III) and chamber ensembles (brass choir, saxophone choir, flute choir, chamber clarinets, percussion ensemble, string quartets) totaling over 130+ students annually.
- Symphonic Band (playing grade III), Concert Band (playing grade II) and Concert Orchestra (playing grade II) received an overall superior (I) rating and Symphonic Orchestra (playing grade III) received an overall excellent (II) rating at PGCPS (Maryland District 1) Band and Orchestra Assessment in March of 2019. Additionally, Symphonic Band received a rating of excellent at the Maryland State Band Assessment in April of 2019.
- Successfully prepared students for PGCPS Solo and Ensemble Festival with multiple students receiving excellent (II) and superior (I) ratings at the district level and both superior (I) and excellent (II) ratings at the state level (all years). Number of students receiving superiors increased each year.
- Successfully prepared band students for participation in PGCPS High School Honors Band and Orchestra (2015, 2017)
- Conducted and arranged multiple clinical rehearsals and workshops with all instrumental groups to improve their musicianship (ongoing since 2015)
- Developed Student Leadership Training System which includes professional development in leadership for students from district employees and other guest speakers/clinicians (ongoing since 2018)
- Chartered Tri-M Chapter (Fall 2018) to develop student leadership across all music ensembles in the building and in the community
- Performances include Fall, Winter and Spring Concerts, organizing and executing the Cluster Concert (all Lanham area feeder schools), in-school formal programs, athletic activities (including halftime field shows), parades, adjudicated marching band competitions and outside-of-school performances including side-by-side performance and postgame show at Howard University (Marching Band), NBCT Induction and Pinning Ceremony, Goddard Spaceflight Center MLK Day Program and the PGCEA Legislative Breakfast (Jazz Band).
Thomas Johnson Middle School, Lanham, Maryland (August 2005 – 2015)
- Music Department Chairman (2005-2015). Coordinated all activities of the music department (band, orchestra and chorus), including performance, fundraising, field trips and event planning.
- Mentored first-year music teachers in the music department (2005, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2014)
- Taught students at multiple ability levels (beginner, less than 2 years, 2+ years playing)
- Developed Symphonic Band (playing Grade II-III music), Sixth Grade Band (playing grade I music), Beginner Ensemble (mixed instrumentation), Jazz Ensemble and other smaller performing groups averaging 100 students annually since 2005.
- Symphonic Band received a overall superior (I) rating at PGCPS District 1 Band Assessment (2014, 2015) and overall excellent (II) ratings in previous years (2013, 2008-2011, 2005-2006) with superior (I) or excellent (II) ratings in the sight reading category (multiple years).
- Symphonic Band received an overall excellent (II) rating both the 2014 and 2015 Maryland State Band Assessment Festivals. Recognized formally at the PGCPS Board of Education Awards Night, May 19, 2014.
- Successfully prepared students for PGCPS Solo and Ensemble Festival with multiple students receiving excellent ratings (II) at the district level and superior ratings (I) at the district and state level multiple years.
- Organized end-of-year performance adjudication for all Thomas Johnson Middle School performing ensembles (2005-2009)
- Prepared students successfully for participation in PGCPS Middle School Honor Band multiple years
- Performances included Fall, Winter and Spring Concerts, special assemblies, performances at outside events (i.e. Collington Nursing Home, Old Post Office Pavilion), black history concert, soloist performances by students (vocal and instrumental)
- Taught General Music courses with focus on mastering basic music literacy, creating original music compositions, learning and performing on one instrument (piano or recorder). Selected General Music students performed as part of music department concerts (various years).
- Taught Choir (2011-2012) , developing Concert and Chamber groups.
- Creative Arts Department Chair /Team Leader (2007-2009)
- Thomas Johnson Middle School Technology School Improvement Committee (Member 2011-2012, Chairman 2012-2013)
- Yearbook Editor and Designer (2009-2013)
Central High School, Capital Heights, Maryland (Aug. 2001 – June 2005)
- Restructured band program by developing jazz combo, marching band pep/basketball band, and concert band
- Taught instrumental music students at multiple ability levels (beginner, intermediate and advanced)
- Prepared band students for PGCPS Solo and Ensemble Festival with multiple students receiving superior (I) and excellent ratings (II) at the district and state level multiple years.
- 2005 Concert Band received the school’s first excellent rating (II) in over twenty years at Assessment Festival
- Prepared students successfully for PGCPS Honors Chorus multiple years (2001-2004), received ratings of excellent (II) at district level
- Arranged music for marching band, concert band, gospel choir and concert choir.
- Developed and conducted comprehensive choir, chamber choir and gospel choir.
- Annual performances included Winter and Spring Concerts, special assemblies, parades (school and non-school), pep band at basketball games, halftime shows, gospel choir performances at outside events, soloist performances by students (vocal and instrumental)
- Marching Band won third place (five bands competing) at the annual Hyattsville Day parade (2002)
7th Letter Music /BluePhire Multimedia , LLC August 2000–present
Owner, Composer and Arranger
- Composition, arranging and publishing of instrumental and vocal music for all difficulty levels
- Creation and publication of music education resources
- Commercial Music Production for local artists
- Voiceover and Narration Services
- Website and Graphic Design
- 3D Printed Designs and Accesorices
- Training of Clients to Maintain Websites
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill June-July 2014
Fundamentals of Conducting (appr. 30 hours)
Professor: Dr. Evan Feldman
Certificate of Completion: http://coursera.org/verify/ZV4SERJDHV
Bowie State University, Bowie, Maryland
Staff Liaison and Assistant Director (September 1999 – August 2001)
Student Arranger (September 1993 – December 1997)
- Arranged multiple pieces for 80-piece marching band and pep band
- Developed show concepts and designed drills for weekly halftime show
- Conducted partial and full rehearsals for multiple ensembles including marching and symphonic bands.
- Coordinated logistics (logistics, meals) for band away trips and for visiting bands.
- Developed administrative procedures for tracking multi-thousand dollar instrument inventory, marching band uniforms and organizing music library
Guest Conductor/Clinical Rehearsal
Thomas Johnson Middle School (February 2017, 2018, 2019)
Ernest Everett Just Middle School (March 2015)
Isaac J. Gourdine Middle School (April 2012, November 2014)
G. James Gholson Middle School (May 2014)
Thurgood Marshall Middle School (multiple rehearsals, 2009-2011)
Bowie State University High School Band Camp (April 2000)
PGCPS Honor Band Sectional Rehearsal (October 2013)
Friendly High School – Master Class & Sectional Rehearsal (February 2013)
PGCPS Elementary Solo and Ensemble Adjudicator
(May 2010, 2011, April 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018)
Private Lesson Instructor, Saxophone (September 2006 – June 2008)
PUBLIC SPEAKING/PROFESSIONAL ENGAGEMENTS
“Reflections from the Halfway Point: Tips for Young Music Teachers and Soon-To-Be Music Teachers“
Given at the Maryland Music Educator’s Fall In-Service Conference on the campus of Long Reach High School
October 16, 2015, 9:30 am, Room 240
Emily Hornbaker, Presiding
Given on the campus of Thomas Pullen Arts Focus Academy
PGCPS Instrumental Music Teachers In-Service August 19, 2015, 1:10 pm
“Sigma Success Seminar: Tips for Success at Life and Career After College”
Given on the campus of Bowie State University April 22, 2015
Thurgood Marshall Library Auditorium 7:30 pm
- Maryland Orchestra Directors Association Music Review Committee (Fall 2017 as member, 2018, 2019 as Chairperson)
- Maryland Band Directors Association Music Review Committee (Spring 2019 as member)
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND GROWTH
- National Band Association Symphonic Band Symposium (February 2019 – participant)
- National Band Association Symphonic Band Symposium (February 2015, 2016, 2017 – Attendee)
- Midwest Band and Orchestra Clinic (December 2012, 2014-2018)
- Maryland Music Educators Association Spring In-Service (February 2019 – Symphonic Band participated)
- Maryland Music Educators Association Spring In-Service (February 2012, 2017)
- Maryland Music Educators Association Fall In-Service (October 2006-2017 – Attendee)
- Maryland Music Educators Association Fall In-Service (October 2018 – Presiding Over Session)
- Maryland Artist Teacher Institute Conference (July 2013)
- NAfME (formerly MENC) Biennial Conference (February 2011)
- Participant in Financial Incentives Rewards for Supervisors & Teachers (F.I.R.S.T.) Cohort 4 (2011-2012)
- Powering Up with Technology Conference (October 2010, November 2011)
- Arts Education in Maryland Schools Alliance (May 2010, May 2011)
- Prince George’s County Fine Arts Summer Institute (June 2008-2013)
- Music Mind Games Instructional Strategies (October 2008-March 2009)
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS AND HONOR SOCIETIES
- Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity (Honorary, Initiated 2018)
- Fort Washington Symphonic Winds (Founding Member, 2014, 2015)
- American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP)
- National Association for Music Education (NAfME)
- National Band Association (NBA)
- Maryland Band Directors Association (MBDA)
- Maryland Orchestra Directors Association (MODA)
- Maryland Music Educators Association (MMEA)
- Association of Concert Bands (ACB – 2014-2016)
- Maryland State Educators Association (MSEA)
- Prince Georges’ County Educators Association (PGCEA)
- Alpha Chi National College Honor Society
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated (Initiated Spring 1995)
PUBLISHED AND PRODUCED WORKS
Mr. Gilliard’s Music Resources
Classroom website and resource hub featuring free information and documents for use in music education as well as class updates for enrolled students
Mr. Gilliard’s Music Resources on YouTube
Instructional videos teaching basic music theory, instrumental music concepts, composition and soprano recorder with a combined 5000 unique visitors annually to all different instructional videos
7th Letter Music Publishing, LLC
Printed music for band, orchestra, choir and music education resources.
Includes articles, interviews with conductors and other resources.
Circus Festival March (2013)
Original Composition for Concert Band, Grade 2.5
Premiered May 21, 2013 at Thomas Johnson Middle School, Lanham, MD
Available from 7th Letter Music Publishing, Accokeek, Maryland and JW Pepper
National Anthem (2014)
John Stafford Smith, Arranged by Kerry J. Gilliard, Grade 2
Available from 7th Letter Music Publishing, Accokeek, Maryland
Original Composition for Concert Band, Grade 3.5
Premieres Spring 2020 from 7th Letter Music Publishing, Accokeek, Maryland
Royal Procession for Band (2015)
Original Composition for Concert Band, Grade 1
Premiered May 19, 2015 at Thomas Johnson Middle School, Lanham, Maryland
Available Soon. Publisher TBA.
A Song for Jacob: Fantasia on “Annie Lisle” (2020)
In Honor of Jacob Saulsbury
Original Composition for Concert Band, Grade 4
Premiere date and publisher, TBA.
RELATED SKILLS AND PROFICIENCIES
- SmartMusic™ Assessment Software For Instrumental Music
- Google™ Classroom
- Intermediate level use of Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Intermediate level use of all Google Web-based Applications
- Proficient in the use of Finale™ Music Notation Software
- Proficient on the MacOS and iOS Platforms
- Proficient on all saxophones (30 years experience)
- Proficient on piano (20+ years experience)
- Vocal and Instrumental Composition and Arranging for all size ensembles (30+ years experience)
- Instrument repair skills (15+ years)
- 2017 and 2018 Semi-Finalist for Music and Arts’ Music Educator of the Year (Top 25 out of over 1500 applicants)
- End of Year Recognition for outstanding work and contributions by Principal (2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019)
- Certificate of Recognition, Prince Georges’ County Board of Education, for Achievement in Music Education (2014)
- Special Talent Award, Bowie State University Music Department (May 2000 and May 2001)
- Certificate of Appreciation in Support of the Office of the National Second Vice President, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated (1999)
- Numerous additional awards and recognition from the Bowie State University Music Department for service beyond normal student involvement and responsibilities in the music program during the years 1993-1997.